Monday, October 8, 2018

Look First to the Father

We are reading this morning in John 5 to 8, and it was John 5:19 that stood out to me first this morning as I read.
Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, unless it is something He sees the Father doing; for whatever the Father does, these things the Son also does in like manner.
The Father is at clearly at work (My Father is working until now - John 5:17). Jesus is watching the Father's work, and Jesus is doing what the Father does.

At first, I am convicted. How often am I looking for the Father's work in the world? Is my usual pattern not simply do what I think is best and good and then ask the Father to bless it? But this is not the way of Jesus. Jesus looked first to the Father. He took his cues from the Father. He patterned his life and his ministry after what the Father was doing.

Should I not do the same?

At first, I am convicted. But then I am inspired. God is at work. It is not all on my shoulders. God is at work. He is at work in my life, in my community, and within my church. God is at work. This is great news!

And Jesus, who told me to follow him, set a pattern of responding to the Father's initiatives. If I am to follow, then I must do the same. Where is the Father at work? What is the Father doing? Is the Father in "this"? These are the questions for the day. These are the questions for the week. These are the questions that should serve as a lens to help me see the opportunities and the challenges around me today.

So far in the Gospel of John, God has been at work at a wedding and at a well. God has been at work on the Sabbath and in the middle of the week. God has been at work in special occasions and in the middle of daily chores. God is at work today. How can I join Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankfulness and Bluebonnets

This week our devotional readings are from the book of Acts, chapters 9 to 12. But my devotional thought this morning is drawn not so much f...