Tuesday, August 28, 2018

A Post about Nothing

Back in the early 90's or so, the television show Seinfeld poked fun at itself with a continuing joke about "a show about nothing." Perhaps they borrowed the idea from the Apostle Paul (I doubt it!).

If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but I do not have love, I am nothing. (1 Cor 13:2)
 Paul follows that sobering assessment up with
And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing. (1 Cor 13:3)
These two verses give us deep insight into what it means to "be something" and "do something" in God's eyes. Love is the key. An unrelenting, uncompromising, unwavering commitment for the good of others. The same attitude that is in Christ (Phil 2). The same activity as God's.

I once read a devotional that instructed me to rewrite these two verses to better fit my life. I would encourage you to do the same this morning. The first verse is about having. The second verse is about doing. List what you have - those things that you have that give you standing, that make you successful, of which you are proud - list what you have alongside love. Then do the same with what you do.

If I have the respect of people and a huge amount of followers on my blog or my Facebook or my Twitter account, but I do not have love, I am nothing.
If I teach a Bible study class every Sunday, sing in the choir, and never miss church, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
If I have a nice house, a nice yard, a nice car, a nice family, and a successful business but do not have love, I am nothing.
And if create a cure for cancer, win the Nobel Prize, lecture around the world, and get elected to the highest office in the nation but do not have love, it profits me nothing.
If I have ________________, but do not have love, I am nothing.

If I ____________________ (do), but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

Give it a try.


Nothing.

Let it sink in for a moment. Nothing.

The only possession, the only activity, the only quality that is eternally profitable is love. Everything else will be lost unless love has redeemed it. This is why, at the end of the chapter, Paul will say that love is the greatest. Faith and hope are good too - especially now. But one day, the need for faith will be over. We will see him and know him and be complete in him, and there will only be love. One day, there will be nothing more to hope for, for a hope that is seen is not hope. But love will remain. Love will last. Love will show its enduring power, and only those who are united to love and in love will be something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankfulness and Bluebonnets

This week our devotional readings are from the book of Acts, chapters 9 to 12. But my devotional thought this morning is drawn not so much f...