Tuesday, July 31, 2018

In the Footsteps of David

As I was reading Psalm 17 this morning, my mind kept turning to David. This was a song that grew out of David's experiences. This is poetry that spoke from David's circumstances. This psalm contains the hope that sustained him during those long years as a fugitive from King Saul.

I can't say that I am particularly in need of deliverance this morning. My allergies or bronchial infection or whatever it is that I have right now are hardly a thing to compare to living rough while on the run for your life. I think that is why I thought more of David this morning as I read. I wonder where he was when he wrote this. I wonder what experiences fueled this song. Was he about to be betrayed by the people of Keliah after he had delivered them from the Philistines? (1 Samuel 23:1-14) Was he in the wilderness of Ziph? Betrayed by the Ziphites to Saul? (1 Samuel 23:19) Was he watching men with no particular righteousness of their own prosper and have families while he, David, the anointed king-in-waiting, was sleeping in hard places?

As I think of the trials that David endured, I hear the anxiety in Psalm 17.
. . . My enemies who surround me.
They have closed their unfeeling heart,
With their mouth they speak proudly.
They have now surrounded us in our steps;
They set their eyes to cast us down to the ground.
But in the face of such anxiety, I see such an inspiring trust in God.
Wondrously show Your lovingkindness
O Savior of those who take refuge at Your right hand
From those who rise up against them.
Keep me as the apple of the eye;
Hide me in the shadow of Your wings.
I pray that we might find comfort, peace, and strength today in the presence of our Almighty God who gives to us such grace. May God wondrously show us His lovingkindness today. And may we faithfully reflect that mercy to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankfulness and Bluebonnets

This week our devotional readings are from the book of Acts, chapters 9 to 12. But my devotional thought this morning is drawn not so much f...