Thursday, July 12, 2018

Fear, Frustration, and Faith

I can't say that I was feeling particularly fearful or frustrated this morning as I read Psalm 7. Consequently, nothing just jumped out and grabbed me after my first reading of the text. But during my second reading, it occurred to me that these are words of David. King David. And then I thought of David's life and the trials he faced early in his life. These are the words of King David before he was king. As I entered into his
situation, David's faith was a bright encouragement to me.

As you probably remember, David was anointed King of Israel by the Prophet Samuel when he was still a young man. He then earned a reputation as a warrior for his defeat of the giant, Goliath, and for his many courageous feats thereafter. For his trouble, he received the enmity of King Saul who quickly grew jealous of David's fame. The result was that David had to flee from Saul's court. For several years, David lived on the run - always one step ahead of Saul and the pursuit by Saul's men.

Reading Psalm 7, we gain a little insight, I think, into the mind and heart of David during those years. Here was a young man, passionate and faithful, courageous and cunning. He well-remembered his anointing at the hands of Samuel. He had ample testimony of God's favor upon his life. And yet, for all the good that he had done, and for all his faithfulness to God, he was sleeping in caves, living rough, and constantly in fear for his life. No wonder he was frustrated! The wicked seemed to prosper, but he did not. He had done nothing wrong, but he was hunted.

But in the midst of his frustration and fear, he did not forsake his faith in the justice and the power of God. "Vindicate me, O Lord," (vs. 8) he cries. And in the next breath, he expresses his trust, "My shield is with God, who saves the upright in heart." (vs. 10) He closes his song with these words:
I will give thanks to the Lord according to His righteousness
And will sing praise to the name of the Lord Most High. (vs. 17)
David's thanksgiving in the face of opposition and frustration is encouraging to me. His faith is a shining example. And knowing how God worked to establish David as the most beloved King Israel, God encourages me to be steadfast in my hope and in my faith.

I pray you receive the strength of such encouragement today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankfulness and Bluebonnets

This week our devotional readings are from the book of Acts, chapters 9 to 12. But my devotional thought this morning is drawn not so much f...