Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Deciding to be Thankful

As I was rereading Psalm 9, I got the sense that David is giving himself a "pep talk" here. His circumstances are not great. He still has an abundance of powerful enemies. The wicked are still oppressing the righteous. He is hated by some and afflicted (9:13). But in the face of those difficulties, David decides to give thanks. He makes a choice - a conscious decision to be thankful in spite of the circumstances.

"I will," he says. I will, I will, I will, I will. This is how he starts each of the phrases in the first two verses. I will.

And what will he do?

He will give thanks to the Lord with all his heart.

He will tell of God's wonders.

He will be glad and exult in God.

He will sing praise to God's name.

In good times, and especially in bad times, David is deciding to be thankful. He can't control the events around him, but he can control his personal response to his circumstances. And he chooses thankfulness.

What a challenging word for us! In the face of difficulties, of fear, of opposition, of uncertainty, we can chose our response. Choose thankfulness. Join with David and speak a strong "I will" today.
I will give thanks to the Lord with all my heart;
I will tell of all Your wonders.
I will be glad and exult in You;
I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High!
I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankfulness and Bluebonnets

This week our devotional readings are from the book of Acts, chapters 9 to 12. But my devotional thought this morning is drawn not so much f...